Please note this is not an exhaustive list of all conditions for outpatient services and does not exclude consideration for referral unless specifically stipulated in the out of scope section.
Referrals for children and young people should follow the Children’s Health Queensland referral guidelines.
All urgent cases must be discussed with the on call Neurosurgery Registrar. Contact through Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital (07) 3646 8111 to obtain appropriate prioritisation and treatment.
Urgent cases accepted via phone must be accompanied with a written referral and a copy faxed immediately to the Central Patient Intake Unit: 1300 364 952.
If any of the following are present or suspected arrange immediate transfer to the emergency department.
- Collapse/altered level of consciousness/new neurological deficit
- Suspected subarachnoid haemorrhage or other intracranial haemorrhage
- Headache with Red flags:
- sudden onset/thunderclap headache
- severe headache with signs of systemic illness (fever, neck stiffness, vomiting, confusion, drowsiness)
- first severe headache age over 50 years
- severe headache associated with recent head trauma
- Symptomatic benign or malignant space-occupying lesion
- Suspected or proven blocked or infected VP shunt
- Acute hydrocephalus
- Head injuries/trauma including extensive scalp laceration or suspected traumatic brain injury
- Spinal trauma or spinal pain with severe or progressive deficit e.g. cauda equina syndrome
- Trigeminal neuralgia – severe uncontrollable pain
Out of scope services
Not all services are funded in the Queensland public health system. The following are not routinely provided in a public Neurosurgery service.
- Chronic neck and back pain with degenerative changes on imaging and no neurological abnormality on examination.
Chronic pain is defined as any pain lasting more than 6 months. Back and neck chronic pain – degenerative changes nil acute neurology.
- Non-specific headache without red flags or requiring surgical intervention
Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital
Level 7, Ned Hanlon Building
Hotline: 1300 364 938
Fax: 1300 364 952
Electronic: eReferral system
Mail: Metro North Central Patient Intake
Aspley Community Centre
776 Zillmere Road
ASPLEY QLD 4034
Access to Health Pathways is free for clinicians in Metro North Brisbane.
For login details email:
Login to Brisbane North Health Pathways: